Sunday, March 22, 2020

Weighing the Alternatives

I started by selecting a paint synthesizer preset category i liked. I then used Gallery Show with the Mutate Current Factory Technique.

So GS selects a random source image from a curated folder of images i created. Then randomly selects 2 different presets in my pre-selected paint preset category, and mingles them to create a mutated preset. That mutated paint preset is then run through an additional GS option that creates a series of successive paint action steps to implement a Paint Strategy.

I also had Auto Mask turned on, using the Random Adaptive option. All of those multiple intelligently designed painting steps are masked by my automatically generated selection mask.

I'm always overpainting on top of the current canvas image (no erasing). So the successive GS paint cycles build up detail in the canvas over time. But detail from different source images.

When i feel the canvas has developed sufficiently, then i switch GS to use a Fixed source. I then start working with different image operation (ip op) effects. I randomize them using that Editor button, then modify the Composite and Mix settings to subtly add additional effect generated detail. I'm randomly building effects that generate things like edge structure, positive/negative space, mass from that fixed source image.

The blood coins were generated by working with the Ellipse Selection option. Using the t and r hotkeys for translating and rotating the selection. Feathering the selection with the appropriate menu command.  Then using that as a mask for an erase to source color.  Then using the mask and Interactive Warp to differentially Darken to create the 3D shadowing for the blood coins.

No comments: